Poetry/Creative Writing/Grammar 3&4Grades 2 - 5
Some information is not shown until you are registered, and logged in with an approved account.
2021-08-25 - 2022-03-30
3 of 12 spaces left
Tue: 10:30 am to 12:00 pm
Cost: $120 / Annual
Get in Touch
About the Course
I am thrilled to teach Poetry / Creative Writing / Grammar this year!
What we will do:
- Poetry - Classical, short poems to enrich our minds. Each week offers one poem, relevant vocabulary, level-appropriate analysis, and even an opportunity to illustrate.
- Creative writing from prompts I will supply. Here, we will incorporate occasionally incorporate IEW structure and style elements, just to keep in touch with our foundations from last year (and next year.)
- Grammar - Shurley English. Classical, easy to use, easy to adjust at home to suit your student's needs.
- Writing Through History - Historical reading and summarizing, and some handwriting practice.
- Speaking / Listening - Each week will offer an opportunity to speak in front of class and/or listen carefully to classmates, making notes and contributing to discussion.
- Dictation - Students will simply write down what I say, a selection from Scripture or class.
- Latin / Greek roots of English vocabulary. This is always a fun use of five - ten minutes of class. :)
Students will absolutely need to acquire
- Poetry for the Grammar Stage by Memoria Press.
- A slim 3-ring binder with pockets. PLEASE do NOT bring a spiral notebook to class - they shed those little paper pieces everywhere.
- Pencils, erasers.
Students will probably want
- a set of colored pencils for Poetry Workbook artwork.
- Shurley English Level 3 workbook.
- IEW's Portable Walls. IEW is the foundation for our writing, and we immerse in it every other year. We will refer to it regularly this year, so you may want to have this inexpensive resource on hand.
- Writing Through Modern History Level 1 (parent's choice of cursive or manuscript. I prefer the download.)
Parents may want
- English from the Roots Up, any version - we cover these in class and I send homework via email. There is no need to buy this book except if you plan to be out of class a lot.
- Shurley English Level 3 Teacher's Guide, especially if this is THE grammar you will use daily this school year.
Sample of Homework Assignment (Parents may adjust as suits their homeschool needs):
- Complete pages 82-83 in Poetry Workbook.
- Complete creative writing assignment from weekly prompt I will provide on homework sheet [minimum one paragraph, maximum one page, MLA style (double-spaced, 12pt font, with heading)] incorporating one element of style or decoration from IEW's Portable Walls.
- Read and summarize assigned selection from Writing Through History. Summaries should be 1-5 sentences.
- Shurley Grammar lessons, as needed to keep up with new concepts in class. (One workbook "week" per class week.)
- Greek / Latin worksheet with just a few matching exercises and a few fill-in-the-blank English derivatives.
I have been privileged to teach with Cornerstone since 2016. I am thrilled to begin teaching English at Cornerstone for 5th and 6th grades in 2020 - I love English and excelled in my English studies through college. I currently teach upper school Economics, Business Math, Survey of Economic Systems (Capitalism v. Socialism from a Christian Worldview) I have 4 children and 2 grandchildren. I was baptized when I was 23 years old at a relatively conservative church of Christ in Jackson, TN. I am currently a member at Southeast Christian church and attend the Indiana campus, where I soak up love and learning on Sunday mornings, and I greet at door 10 every other Sunday.
I earned my BSBA in Business Administration- concentrating in Economics - from Union University in Jackson, TN in 1994; I was honored to receive the 1994 Award for Academic Excellence in Economics and Finance. I taught adults in a Business School. I worked for 7 years in the automotive industry, where I became ASQ certified as a Quality Engineer, where auditing, and training, and leading systematic team problem-solving, using graphical analysis and statistics, were daily tasks.
I think teaching is fun, and my goal is that your child's time in my class is efficient - that they feel accomplished, make thousands of neural connections, and remember a lot!